E- Learning

Investigate,Stimulate, Activate and Communicate

About Me

My photo
Hi, My name is Teresa Anderson, a Professional Communications student at Central Queensland University in Mackay. I am definitely a technology immigrant and am excited about entering into a new world of learning and communicating through e-learning. Information technology is dramatically changing the way we communicate, learn and interact. Being able to keep up with these technologies is an important part of my professional and personal development and I look forward to the challenge.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Wikipedia - A Collaborative Approach

Web 2.0 technology, through its wiki application has provided the infrastructure for the development of 'Wikipedia' a free, web based encyclopedia project. Since its inception in 2001, it has become one of the most widely used research tool available on the Web. Wikipedia is written collaboratively using multi source editors and it contains definitions and articles that link and guide its users to other related information and articles. I have used Wikipedia often to begin research as it gives a broad definition and a starting place for further research. I have been told that for scholarly work Wikipedia is an unreliable source as its contents can be edited by anyone who has access to the web. My children at schools have also been told not to use Wikipedia. Web 2.0 technologies that use collaborative sources for input must always have some level of unreliability unless they are seriously scrutinised. What a job that would be.
I think that the many positive outcomes that occur through collaboration and networking in these web developments must far outweigh the negative ones. An increase in creativity and inclusiveness in learning forums must surely be one of them and I am sure that Abraham Maslow would agree to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment